Monday, November 19, 2012

Week 11: Out of Luck: Sunday Recap

what's happening here? Goob.
I had a major reality check yesterday when one of my very best guy friends...who is a total guys' guy texted me and asked me if I was watching the AMA's and then started giving me his opinion on Pit Bull (he loves him), Justin Bieber (he called him a bad word) and Christina Aguilera (she intimidates him with her makeup). I didn't even know the AMAs were happening last night! I was knee deep in the Steelers game and was missing out! Luckily my bud kept the updates coming but my once scarily up to date knowledge of everything pop culture is slowly fading away in the name of football. Though I have to say that I am more than willing to miss anything that has to do with Justin Bieber, what is the deal with that kid? I guess my point is that this Thanksgiving week, I am thankful that while I am delving into the male world of football, I have friends out there who are keeping an eye on Hollywood for me. I am a lucky girl indeed. Now on to Week 11!

- Colts and Patriots. Patriots and Colts. It's a rivalry that was made famous by the match-up by elite QB's Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. But this year everything was different. Peyton Manning has moved on to be a Bronco and Indianapolis' rookie quarterback, Andrew Luck, made his first trip to face Tom Brady and the new England Patriots in what should be known as The Goober Bowl. Rookie Goob, Luck, started off okay and at the half the score was tied 24-17. But that's when Luck literally ran out of luck. Goober #2, Tom Brady, threw for 331 yards and 3 touchdowns. The Patriots went on to score 2 more touchdowns on interception returns and a touchdown on a punt return. When it was all said and done, the rookie and the Indianapolis Colts lost to the 3-time Super Bowl champ and the New England Patriots 24-59. The news isn't all good for the Patriots. The lost Rob Gronkowski, one of their most valuable tight-ends, when he broke his forearm trying to block an extra point. Why he was trying to block an extra point when they were up over 30 points and there was less than 4:00 left in the game is a question that I am sure will haunt Bill Belichick for a few days."Impress Him" Facts: Andrew Luck was the #1 pick in the last NFL draft, one of his interceptions today was picked off by Alfonzo Dennard, the last pick in the the last NFL draft. Luck may have lost this game but he did throw for 334 yards, his 5th game with 300+ passing yards which breaks the rookie record set by Peyton Manning, not bad for a Goob.
Poor Andrew...no matter what he does...Goob.
- I have no idea why the Pittsburgh Steelers insist on dressing up like overgrown yellow-jackets, but it is not working for them. Not in the fashion department. Not in the football department.  The Steelers were missing starting Bumblebee Quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, for their Sunday night game against AFC North rivals, the Baltimore Ravens. Apparently Ben had a shoulder injury but the more worrisome injury was a dislocated rib that, if moved the wrong way, could puncture an artery. Yikes. The back-up quarterback was Byron Leftwich, who has played in exactly 2 games this season including last night. To his credit he threw for 201 yards, but spent a lot of time pulling himself off the ground. Not that the Ravens looked much better. QB, Joe Flacco, completed 20 out of 32 passes for 164 yards and the offense really couldn't get a whole lot going against the NFL's #1 defense. Their points came when Jacoby Jones returned a punt for a touchdown and Justin Tucker kicked 2 field goals to give the Ravens the 13-10 win and their third straight win against the Steelers.
HELP! I am being chased by a swarm of giant bees!!!

- The Green Bay Packers may have lost 3 of their first 5 games but with yesterday's win over the Detroit Lions they are on a 5 game winning streak and a half-game away from taking first place in the NFC North; as Wide Receiver, Donald Driver (and Stella), put it, "We got our groove back." They got it back just in time too, Aaron Rodgers threw a 22 yard touchdown pass to Randall Cobb with 1:55 left in the game to help pull out the 24-20 win over the Lions. The Lions had all kind of problems. Quarterback, Matt Stafford threw 2 interceptions and lost a fumble. To make matters worse, receivers coach, Shawn Jefferson, was seen yelling at the Lions' Offensive coordinator late in the game. It's never a good sign when the coaching staff is visibly at each others throats. Aside: I just realized that I have been spelling "Green Bay" wrong all year. That's what I get for thinking that I am smarter than spell check. My B.

- The Houston Texans held on to their one loss record with a come-from-behind win in overtime against the Jacksonville Jaguars. And they couldn't have done it without Wide Receiver, Andre Johnson. Johnson had 14 receptions for 273 yards and a touchdown. Matt Schaub was no slouch either, he completed a 43 passes (a franchise record) for 527 yards, tying him for 2nd most in NFL history. (Warren Moon also threw for 527 yards in 1990). Schaub threw 2 touchdown passes in the fourth quarter that tied the game up 34-34 and sent it to overtime. During overtime the Jags and the Texans traded field goals before Andre Johnson sealed the win with a 48 yard touchdown. The Jaguars played most of the game with their back-up QB, Chad Henne, after their starter, Blaine Gabbert, left in the first quarter with an elbow injury. Henne had a big day himself, with 354 yards and 4 touchdowns. Wide Receiver, Justin Blackmon, also had a big day or the Jaguars with 236 receiving yards. It was the first time in NFL history that 2 opposing players had 200+ receiving yards in the same game. But in the end it wasn't enough and the Texans won the game 37-43. "Impress Him" Fact:  The Jaguars have lost 3 road games in overtime this year. This is the first overtime win for the Texans in their home stadium.

- I hate Philip Rivers. Which is why I really enjoyed watching the Denver Broncos and San Diego Chargers game. Broncos Linebacker, Von Miller, not only sacked Rivers 3 times but he also forced 2 fumbles and had some pretty impressive celebration dances. Peyton Manning also did his part with 270 passing yards for 3 touchdowns. Not bad for a guy who sat out all last season. The Broncos walked away with a 23-30 win and I get to post this picture.
Frankly, it's an insult to Miss Piggy.


I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving! I for one am Thankful for my family, my friends, and for all you who read this blog and are so kind and supportive, LOOOOOOVE YALL!!


No comments:

Post a Comment