Thursday, October 25, 2012

Week 8: Off The Grid

This week I have been a bad little blogger. I skipped re-capping Monday night's game, mostly because it was a snoozer (the Chicago Bears beat the Detroit Lions 13-7) and I will likely not be able to recap tonight's game between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Minnesota Vikings...but I have a good excuse! I am heading up to Sewanee, TN for my 10 year college reunion. For those of you who don't know anything about Sewanee, it is literally on top of a mountain called the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee...somewhere in between Nashville and Chattanooga. Aside: While Sewanee does not make many (or any) ESPN headlines these days, it was once quite the football powerhouse. Sewanee was actually a founding member of the SEC and in 1899 the football team shutout 5 southern teams (Texas, Texas A&M, Tulane, LSU, and Ole Miss) in 6 days...making it one of the most accomplished football teams in history. When I was a student in Sewanee I don't think that wireless internet existed; while I am sure that technology has made itself up The Mountain, I don't think I will be looking for it this weekend. So instead of a recap of tonight's game tomorrow, how about a preview of it tonight?
"...and on the 7th day the rested"; the legendary 1899 Sewanee Football team, intimidating aren't they?

-The Minnestoa Vikings are looking to their star running back, Adrian Peterson, to get them the 5th straight home win tonight against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. It would be their first 5-0 home start since 2009. The Vikings will also need wide receiver, Percy Harvin to step up during this game. QB, Christian Ponder has completed 53 passes to Harvin despite the Vikings being at the bottom of the barrel in the league when it comes to the passing game.  'Impress Him" Facts: The Vikings are ranked 27th out of 32 teams in passing yards per game. They are averaging 203.4 passing yards per game. Perterson is just 10 months removed from major knee surgery but is tied for 3rd place with 652 rushing yards.

- On the flip side, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have lost 9 straight on the road. However, they are third in the league when it comes to rush defense...which could come in handy against the Vikings who have been relying heavily on their running game. Tampa Bay is only allowing an average of 3.1 rushing yards per game

What's the bottom line? Tampa Bay is terrible on the road but talented when it comes to stopping the run. If they can shake off their jitters and just do what they do best, they are going to force Minnesota to try to throw the ball, and that is where the Vikings run into trouble.

Now I may have left you high a dry this week, but don't worry, I will be back online in time for Sunday Football. I hope everyone has a great weekend, I know I will...I mean, how could I not??
not a bad place to spend the weekend...or 4 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment