- It's no secret that the New Orleans Saints have been struggling this year. Amid the Bountygate Scandal, three of the Saints coaches, including Saints' Head Coach Sean Payton who is suspended for the entire season and was to have no contact with the team and the Saints were 0-4 going into Sunday night's game. However, Sunday night's match-up between the Saints and the San Diego Chargers was no ordinary night. If Saints QB Drew Brees could throw a touchdown pass in this game it would be his 48 consecutive game with a touchdown pass and he would break a 52 year old record set by Johnny Unitas. Before the game Drew Brees personally emailed NFL commissioner, Roger Goodell, and asked that Sean Payton and the other suspended coaches be allowed to attend the game. The commissioner granted the request and for the first time this season the Saints' had their head coach in the building...even though he wasn't coaching.We didn't have to wait long for the history-making throw from Brees; With 2:36 minutes left in the first quarter, Brees threw a 40 yard touchdown to Devery Henderson to break the record set by Johnny Unitas from 1956-1960. It was a great moment for the Saints and they went on from there. Brees threw 3 mores touchdowns to Marques Colston for a total of 370 passing yards on the night and the Saints won their first game of the season, 31-24. "Impress Him" Fact: Drew Brees played for the San Diego Chargers before hurting his shoulder and the Chargers decided to go with Phillip Rivers as their starter. It looked like he had nowhere to go until the Saints signed him for the 2006 season. It must have felt pretty good to break the record against his old team.
|The Saints haven't seen that smile in a while. (Photo Source: Monolith.com)|
- The big story surrounding the Denver Broncos vs. New England Patriots game had less to do with the teams and more to do with the 2 quarterbacks. While this is Peyton Manning's first year with the Broncos, this game would mark the 13th time that he has gone head to head with Patriots' QB, Tom Brady. The Patriots won 21-31 improving Brady's record against Manning to 9-4. Brady completed 23 of 31 passes for 223 yards, a touchdown and a rushing touchdown of his own. Brady also put together 4 scoring drives of 80 yards or more. When all seemed lost, Manning tried to put together a late comeback and managed to make it a 10 point game. They were poised to score again when Willis McGahee lost a fumble that would secure the win for the Patriots.
- Coming into Week 5 there were 3 undefeated teams: the Arizona Cardinals, Atlanta Falcons, and the Houston Texans. The Cardinals lost on Thursday night to the St. Louis Rams the Atlanta Falcons extended their winning streak against the Washington Redskins, and the Texans don't play until Monday night, but they should hang onto their streak as well against the troubled NY Jets.
- The Atlanta Falcons are 5-0 for the first time in franchise history. With their 24-17 win over the Washington Redskins, Matt Ryan and the Falcons sent a message to future opponents that they are capable of winning under any circumstances. If you have been following this blog week to week you know that RG3, the rookie QB for the Redskins, has been making a serious run at the Rookie of the Year title. He may still be on his way to that title, but he was knocked out of the game with a mild concussion during the 3rd quarter when he ran for a first down. "Impress Him" Fact: A more seasoned NFL quarterback would have known to get out of bounds after securing the first down in stead of trying to gain more yardage and risking a big hit, which is exactly what happened to RG3. On the other side of the ball, Matt Ryan, QB for the Atlanta Falcons, is making a serious case for league MVP. Ryan completed 34 of 52 passes for 345 yards and 2 touchdowns. The loss is the eighth consecutive home game loss for the Washington Redskins.
|getting stitched up on the sideline. learned your lesson, RG3? (Photo Source: Sportsrapport.com)|
- It has been an emotional week for the Indianapolis Colts. The team learned this past Monday that first year head coach, Chuck Pagano, was diagnosed with Leukemia and has taken an indefinite leave of absence in order to receive treatment which is intended to cure the disease. So when the Colts took to their home field against the Greenbay Packers they had more on their mind then getting a win, they wanted to get a win for their coach. Win they did, 30-27, in a most dramatic fashion. At halftime the Colts were down 21-3 and things did not look good. But in the second half rookie QB, Andrew Luck and Wide Receiver, Reggie Wayne took matters into their own hands and decided to put on a show. In fact, they both had career high games. Luck was 31 of 55 for 362 yards; Reggie Wayne had 13 receptions for 212 yards including the game winning touchdown which came in the last 35 seconds of the game after Luck had put together an 80 yard drive. The Packers had a chance to tie the game but missed a 51 yard field goal attempt. I am not a Colts fan, and you all know how I feel about Aaron Rodgers and the Packers, but there is just something about a team that is playing for more than just league standing. So congrats on a hard fought and well deserved win, Colts; here's hoping Coach Pagano is back on the field soon!
- The NY Giants again overcame injuries to key players to pull out a 27-41 win over the win-less Cleveland Browns. Aside: One of my loyal readers, also known as my cousin, wanted to know why the Browns are called the Browns but wear orange. The short answer is that the Browns were named after their coach Paul Brown, when the team was started in 1944; the team colors are orange and brown. The Browns actually have a pretty interesting history which you can read all about here. Now back to the present. The Browns came out and scored a fast 14 points in the first quarter that had me thinking that maybe this was going to be the week that these poor saps actually win a game and against Eli Manning and the Giants to boot! But in typical fashion eli Manning and the Giants would not go away. Victor Cruz caught a career-best, 3 touchdown passes and 3 salsa dance celebrations. And Ahmad Bradshaw overcame an early fumble to have a career-best 200 rushing yards. "Impress Him" Fact: The Giants are 9-0 in games where Ahmad Bradshaw has 100+ rushing yards. The Browns are 0-5 for the first time since their return to the league in 1999 and extend their 11 game losing streak. Ouch.
What will happen tonight when the Texans take on the Jets? Will Tebow be Tebowing instead of Mark Sanchez? I'll let you know all about it tomorrow morning!