Thursday, September 6, 2012

Cowboys at Giants: Season Opener Recap

I wasn't planning on posting about this game, but it was such a good one that I thought it would be irresponsible for me to skip over it, and I am nothing if not responsible. Plus, this is more fun than I thought you should have seen the look on my husbands face when I told him Hakeem Nicks was definitely starting for the Giants and so should be starting for his fantasy team. Priceless.

I don't want to spend too much time on the Pre Show, but I would be remiss not to say something about the kickoff "concert". If you didn't see the game let me just say that the crowd that NBC tricked into cheering for Mariah Carey and No Doubt (when did they even get back together) forgot what they were supposed to make a lot of noise. I swear I heard crickets chirping in the middle of New York City after both performances.

Anyhoo, it's football that we are here to talk about and as promised the Cowboys and the Giants did not disappoint. For the past 8 years it has been a tradition that the reigning Super Bowl Champions open the season on a weekday, and for each of the previous 8 years the reigning champ has won the Season Opener, but not tonight... The Cowboys won 24-17 on the road, against a championship Giants team, and they looked good. Here are the big stories that are going to be coming out of this game:

- Kevin Ogletree. Who? Kevin Ogletree. This guy was an undrafted free agent at the end of the 2009 draft and was picked up by the Cowboys. Before last night he has 25 career receptions and no touchdowns. Well that all changed last night when he had 8 receptions for 114 yards including 2 touchdowns and one very key 3rd down converstions with 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

- Demarcus Ware picked up his 100th career sack last night when he pummeled Eli Manning. Ware is the second fastest player to ever reach this milestone, behind the late, great Reggie White. He is also among only 5 active NFL players who have 100+ sacks.

- Miles Austin, who briefly suffered from a bad case of Kim Kardashian, had a big touchdown in the 4th quarter to seal up the Cowboys victory and as much as it pains me to say anything supportive of a Kardashian castoff...he looked damn good doing it.

- We can't leave out the man of the hour, Tony Romo. Last season critics said that the Dallas Cowboys couldnt close. They were notorious for blowing big leads in the 4th quarter. Romo sent a very strong message last night that 2012 was going to be a different story, he looked confident and strong in the second half despite a shaky opening 1st quarter. It's hard not to like Romo,he just seems like a decent guy.

- As for the Giants, Ahmad Bradshaw did what he could for the G-men with 78 rushing yards and 1 touchdown. Martellus Bennett, a former Cowboy who did not leave on friendly terms, scored the first touchdown for the Giants in the first quarter, while wide receiver, Victor Cruz dropped at least 3 passes. Truth be told, the Giants just couldn't match the momentum of the Cowboys once Tony Romo decided to turn it on.

Other Notable Stories:

- Jason Witten was being called a "warrior" for deciding to play with a lacerated spleen (wtf?!). But in the end he was not really a factor at all in the game and you have to wonder if it was worth the additional hits he took to his body.

- Our friends, the replacement refs, didn't make or break the game. There was one missed holding call that should have gone against the Cowboys, and then a questionable holding call against Victor Cruz. But all in all the refs did not determine the outcome of the game and should be able to face their 8th grade geography class today (seriously, one of the refs is a geography teacher in Iowa or Idaho...does it really matter?).

There you have it, the first game is under my belt, though I was hoping to have this posted earlier this morning, I will do better on Sunday, I promise. So far, I am loving my new project even though I think my husband wishes I would go back to watching Beverly Hills, 90210 re-runs because I asked him a lot of questions...a lot. But no one said that that spending more time together was going to be easy did they :-)

While I am trying new things, I have also jumped on the twitter bandwagon, so I would love for you to follow me @gridiron4girls.

See you Monday morning!!


No comments:

Post a Comment